These tall towers bearing light have more benefits and applications than the laymen know. The following are the answers to some frequently asked questions regarding Light Towers.
What are Light Towers?
A Light Tower is elongated portable equipment, which stands vertically tall bearing one or more high-intensity electric lamps at its pinnacle, along with a pole. The equipment appears like a tall (the height of the same varies between 16-30 feet, depending upon the application) pole with attached electric lamps at its peak. This pole of light in turn is attached to a trailer that comes with a set of generators to provide power to the lamps affixed at the top of the pole. These high-intensity sources of light are ideally metal halide bulbs, while the generators are powered by diesel engines.
What inspired the concept of Light Towers?
The concept of Light Tower seems to be inspired by the early years of electricity, around 18th century in America. This was the time when state leaders could not afford steady illumination and thus had to come out with a cheaper, better and quicker way to illuminate American streets with a man-made replica of moon. Hence, their endeavors bore results in the form of glowing light-balls suspended high above cities. These tall towers carrying 4-6 arc lamps (with 2000-6000 candlepower for each lamp) used to resemble oil derricks and have eventually inspired the invention of Light Towers.
What are the various uses of Light Towers?
Light Towers prove to be a powerful source of illumination for a wide range of applications and varied purposes such as:
- Surveillance of a particular/protected area
- Fire and emergency services
- Our well-maintained fleet of light towers will perform just as efficiently as new.
- Repairing and service of rail and motor roads
- Emergency services related to gas, water and heat supply
- Oil industries
- Space rescue operations
- Surveillance of construction and mining sites
- Illumination required in mass arrangements
- Advertisement purposes and road shows
- Police vigilance on roads
- Illumination of Airports
- Stadium Lightings
- Military operations
- Illumination of adventure sports parks
- Lightings for hotels, celebrations and resorts
How to maintain safety with light towers?
It is most important to follow proper safety measures while handling Light Towers. First and foremost, users should follow the safety guidelines on usage and maintenance of Light Tower in the manufacturer’s user manuals. It is advisable that only expert users or managers should operate these equipments. The engine and the generator are the 2 most important parts of these machines and thus manufacturer’s recommendation should be well-followed regarding change and replacement of oil and air filters. In case the machine is being used in dusty environment, it is mandatory to accelerate the air filter schedule.
How to avoid operational errors while using light towers?
The following factors need to be considered to avoid operational errors:
- Don’t place the light tower near any obstacles like trees and power lines in order to avoid electrical hazards.
- Extend and lock the telescoping outriggers in proper level to stabilize the towers and make sure that the equipment is firmly grounded in a solid base.
- Be careful with the wires and cables and pay attention while using the electric winch.
- Before shutting down the generator, make sure to unplug items from outlets and to turn off the lights.
- Keep a check on the fuel level as the performance and longevity of the generator depends upon that.
What are the signs of an efficient light tower?
An efficient and high-quality Light Tower would perform with excellent illuminative powers for long and uninterrupted hours even at remote areas under harsh weather conditions. High-quality flood lights provide a steady flow of light backed with a powerful generator. These should come with adjustable features and portability and the light bulbs should be placed in a way to provide maximum brightness over a wide range of area. An efficient light tower should be of a robust and durable built, however it should be lightweight enough to move from one place to another with ease and convenience.